I’ve been running a tight schedule these past few weeks and I’m out of ideas except for this topic. Today, I’ll be an advocate of those who continue to choose to walk on the dangerous side as truth to be told, at some point I myself hated to go to the designated crosswalks just because it is more convenient, it is faster and it is the macho thing to jaywalk at certain times. Others I’m sure have there own excuses why they defeat the law but whatever that is I will now try to help them cross the other side in one piece. So how do you jaywalk and yet survive? Here’s my top 5 list:
1. Remember stop, look,and listen? Yes, that old kindergarten song will help you keep your life and limbs as you try to reach that other side of the road. In cases when you’re in a why-did-the-chicken-cross-the-road situation, for Pete’s sake, at least have that presence of mind: stop, look,and listen. Please.
2. Eye contact! Based on experience and observation, and as complemented by the book Traffic, an eye contact with the driver of an approaching vehicle works most of the time. This relays to the person inside the car some sort of mutual message that you know what you’re about to do and that you’re no road-kill material.
3. Grab a baby. I for one will brake to let anyone cuddling a baby cross safely and I’ve seen majority of drivers do the same thing (isn’t it comforting to know that there’s still kindness among most of us). By the way, make sure it is your own baby. Ok?
4. Be old. Our country is among many others that don’t have seniors-friendly facilities, such as escalators, that would encourage the elderly to take the safer option yet thankfully majority of motorists take precaution whenever they see someone old inching their way across. Case in point is my father who cannot use those long flight of stairs of the overpass leading to his favorite place. He’s been hanging out in this mall almost whole year round so I know that considerate drivers have slowed down for him as he makes his way to the ‘big R.’
5. Smile..and wear shorts. Wear shorts…and smile. Smile…and wear shorts. Wear shorts…and smile. (I think I’ve made this one clear enough.)
Mood: 2/10 Honks! (Lego kid still sleeping.)