Every working day seems to be getting gloomier and gloomier at work but I still exude a positive look to most people—to my colleagues, to my peers. In short, I’m becoming a professional hypocrite. Ti abi. But that’s the way it should be right now. There’s no point in surrendering even if the fight seems worthless and unwinnable. Sooner or later I’d be a bum but until that time comes I try to be positive. Remember: choose to be happy.
So what have I done so far to soften the impact of the inevitable? I’ve made sure that I equipped myself with bum tools.
- Unpaid car. Nice to drive around with. Necessary to eliminate couch rashes.
- Books. Lots of it. I think I’d be able to read most of it while in career hibernation. I’d start to worry when I start re-reading my wife’s Archie comics.
- Cable TV and Internet subscription. Other than being certified bum tools, both may be my connection to the outside world. Which reminds me to check the schedule of the TV show Til Debt Do Us Part.
- DVDs. Genuine DVDs. Got to have popcorns and beer to go along with these.
- A Brother. Yes, a Brother multi-printer. The brother that can help me distribute my resume print outs while on a job hunt.
- Rubik’s cube. I don’t know if the recent recession and attrition is the reason this cube puzzle was revived. I’m smelling conspiracy here.
For now these should suffice to keep me occupied for the bum days to come.